Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Undocumented vehicles banned in Maidan Wardak

Undocumented vehicles banned in Maidan Wardak

By
On
Aug 15, 2011 - 13:09

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): The vehicles of private security companies escorting logistics convoys will not be permitted to pass through central Maidan Wardak province without legal documents, an official said on Monday.

Security personnel made the decision during a coordination meeting a few days ago, Governor Mohammad Halim Fidaee told Pajhwok Afghan News in an exclusive interview.

Five Afghan companies run 1,150 logistics vehicles across the province each week, he said, adding that they do not respect rules and regulations. The companies provide their own security for the convoys.

Some of the companies are owned by warlords and some by relatives of high-ranking government officials. They provide logistics only for foreign forces. The Afghan government provides supplies for its own security forces, nor do these five companies serve commercial traders.

Up to 139 vehicles with no documents or license plates have been stopped by police over the past few days, and each will be fined 1,000 afghanis, Fidaee said. If such vehicles are stopped in the future, officials will deal with them according to the law, he said.

The security companies not only contribute to insecurity, he said, they also cause traffic accidents. There have been civilian casualties in several such accidents, and there has been no way to track the unmarked vehicles involved.

“When we asked the drivers for the legal documents of their vehicles, they said that their vehicles don’t need documents, because they belong to warlords,” he said.

The governor said they would enforce the rule without exception.

He asked the security companies to make legal documents for their vehicles as soon as possible.

The vehicles travel from the Torkham dry port to southern provinces, but no one asks them for documents, he said. He asked that officials in other provinces inspect the vehicles.

Separately, on Sunday, Interior Ministry spokesman Ghulam Siddiq told a press conference that 11 containers that had been stolen from the NATOinfo-icon-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon) were stopped in Kabul.

myn/kg

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update