3 die as floods wreak havoc in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (PAN): Three people were killed as flash floods triggered by huge rains swept through two districts in the eastern province of Nangarhar, where vast tracts of agriculture fields were damaged, an official said on Wednesday.
The overnight natural disaster wrecked havoc in Kot and Batikot districts following heavy downpour, the governor's spokesman, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
An official delegation had been sent to the affected areas to assess the situation, he said.
Kot resident Qasim Khan said there was huge rain Tuesday night, causing floods in the area. He said two children were among three people killed by the floods.
More than 300 acres of cultivated lands and 200 houses were carried away by floodwaters, the resident said.
The Batikot district chief, Israrullah Qari, said 100 acres of agriculture farms and as many houses in his district were damaged by the floods.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.