Taliban deny using children for suicide attacks
The rejection comes two days after President Hamid Karzai denounced as un-Islamic and inhumane the Taliban's strategy of using children in the war.
The president also released eight of the 20 detained would-be youth suicide bombers to their families on Eid day. The released children were of the ages below 19 years.
The detained children admitted they had been trained for suicide attacks.
But a Taliban statement on Saturday said the movement had banned recruiting or using children under the article 69of their code of conduct.
"Those who have no beards due to being young are banned to join the Taliban ranks or military centers accordance to the code of conduct."
The restriction on children's recruitments in the Taliban ranks had been imposed as a Sharia order long before these propagandas were hatched, the statement added.
"Taliban are not short of personnel and therefore there is no need of hiring children," the statement said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.