Another child suicide bomber detained
KUNDUZ CITY (PAN): A teenage suicide bomber was detained before he could accomplish his plan in northern Kunduz province, security officials said on Sunday.
The 15 year-old was arrested on Saturday with an explosives-filled suicide vest from a house in Kunduz city, the provincial capital police chief, Maj. Gen. Samiullah Qatrah, told Pajhwok Afghan News
Without providing the child's name, Qatrah quoted the child as telling his investigators that he had been trained in a Pakistani religious school and was tasked to target a military base in Kunduz.
The police chief said another person who guided the child for a suicide attack had also been arrested. Qatrah refused to provide further details for security reasons, but said an investigation was underway.
Nader Shah, another child suicide bomber detained four months ago, said: "I was told to kill the infidels and their partners, so I would go straight to the paradise."
Nader Shah regretted his intention, saying when he entered the city; he saw people were praying in mosques. He said he found no reason to kill them.
The arrest of another child suicide bomber in Kunduz comes days after President Karzai ordered the release of eight of 20 detained child suicide bombers.
Karzai released the eight children to their families after Eid-ul-Fitr prayers.
The National Directorate of Security (NDS) announced three months ago that 99 children had entered Afghanistan for carrying out suicide attacks. Some of them were arrested in different areas.
But the Taliban reject using children for suicide attacks, calling it an enemy propaganda.
In a statement on Saturday, the Taliban said they had banned recruiting children in the Taliban ranks under their code of conduct.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.