ANA's commando unit conducts first-ever independent operation
KABUL (PAN): A commando unit of the Afghan National Army (ANA) carried out its first ever independent operation targeting a militant group linked to the Haqqani network in central Parwan province, the unit commander said on Monday.
Brig. Gen. Dadan Lawang told a press conference in Kabul that the operation was conducted by the first battalion of the commando unit two days back in Ghorband district.
A group of militants had gathered in Qalatak village to launch guerrilla attacks against Afghan forces, he said.
Lft. Col. Nabiullah, Mirzayi, the battalion commander, who led the offensive, said the operation lasted three hours and that the soldiers suffered no casualties.
He said groups linked to the Haqqani network have been operating in Ghorband valley. However, he said the groups had no permanent sanctuary in the area. A number of weapons and ammunition were also destroyed during the operation, he said.
Bamyan provincial council chief, Mohammad Jawad Zahak, was found dead in the area three days ago after he had been abducted by the Taliban from Sya Gird district. Two policemen, including an officer, were assassinated by the Taliban in the Ghorban valley two weeks ago.
Lawang said the commando unit lacked enough equipment. He said if the unit was well equipped, it could conduct unilateral operations across the country.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.