Failed candidates stage huge demonstration
KABUL (PAN): A number of failed candidates of the last year’s parliamentary election and thousands of their supporters, some carrying weapons, have staged a huge demonstration in Maidan Shahr, the capital city of central Wardak province, a failed candidate, Daud Sultanzoy, said on Tuesday.
Irritated by the latest decision of the Independant Election Commission regarding the poll results which ignored the Special Election Tribunal's verdict that had declared 62 failed candidates as the winners, more than 5000 protesters, including some failed candidates and their armed supporters, had rallied in Maidan Shahr and were marching toward Kabul, Daud Sultanzoy told Pajhwok Afghan News at around 12pm.
Sultanzoy was among 62 candidates declared as winners by the Special Election Tribunal, but he is not amongst the nine candidates who were recently announced as successful by the Independent Election Commission (IEC).
Sultanzoy said they had reports that the Ministry of Interior has ordered the police not to let the protesters enter Kabul City.
“We are very serious for taking our rights and whoever prevents us from entering Kabul will meet our harsh reaction, including a gun battle,” he added.
However, Hashmatullah Stanikzai, spokesman for the 101st Kabul Police Asmayee Zone, said: “If the protestors attempt to violate the law, clash with police or create any other problem, the police are ready to prevent them from any kind of violence.”
Stanikzai said the intention of the protesters was not yet clear, but he insisted that Kabul police were fully ready to quell any kind of violence.
“Demonstration is the right of citizen of the country and police cannot prevent people from protesting until they violate the laws," he concluded.
The demonstration comes as nine MPs, who were disqualified by the IEC, were barred from entering the Parliament on September 3.
The IEC awarded the nine newly announced successful candidates their certificates and were sworn in on September 3.
The Law Support Coalition in the parliament considered the move as a military coup and said it was a brazen violation of the Constitution. They warned the government of bad consequences, including not attending in the Wolesi Jirga’s sessions, if the disqualified MPs were not brought back to the Lower House.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.