Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Protest camp set up opposite Presidential Palace

Protest camp set up opposite Presidential Palace

By
On
Sep 07, 2011 - 16:37

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Outraged over the non-implementation of the special tribunal's verdict, a number of unsuccessful 2010 parliamentary election candidates, coming all the way from central Maidan Wardak province, on Wednesday set up a protest camp in front of the Presidential Palace.

The candidates and their supporters, with some of them carrying weapons, warned to resist law enforcing personnel, if they were intercepted.

The protestors claimed about 5000 people were taking part in the protest, but a Pajhwok Afghan News reporter, who visited Arghandi intersection west of the capital Kabul, said there were 10 failed candidates and nearly 200 of their protesters.

After spending the night in Arghandi intersection, the protestors in a number of vehicles drove towards the busy Pashtonistan intersection close to the Presidential Palace where they erected tents next to 'Da Afghanistaninfo-icon Bank.

One of the losing poll runners, Daud Sultanzoy, who had been declared as winner along with 61 others by the special tribunal assigned with investigating election irregularities, claimed the IECinfo-icon decision to reinstate only nine candidates was illegal and based on political settlement.

All the 62 candidates declared winners by the special election tribunal must be reinstated, he said, warning they would continue their protest until their demands were met.

Protesters also blocked the intersection against traffic for more than two hours on Wednesday noon.

Haji Abdul Qader a failed Kochi candidate warned:"Our demonstration will expand, unless special tribunal's decision is enforced." 

He said they had no intention to violate any laws, but wanted their voices to be heard.

Abdul Jabbar Shilgari, another failed candidate from Ghazni, warned they would turn the fountain at Pashtonistan intersection to another Tahrir square in Egypt, where people had gathered to oust Hosni Mubarak.

Shilgari accused the IEC chief and seven other commissioners of hatching a political plot against the 62 candidates.

Most of supporters of the candidates dispersed in the afternoon, but few of the candidates stayed at the protest tent.

The IEC had declared 9 of the 62 failing contesters as winners in last year's parliamentary elections. The nine were administered oath on the fifth day of Eid-ul-Fitr, amid strong criticism outside and inside the parliament, where the coalition to support the implementation of law warned not to attend the house sessions until the unseated lawmakers were reinstated.

mam/ma

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update