2 rebels killed, as many detained
Afghan and foreign forces clashed with the fighters near the border between the Nawbahar district of Zabul province and the Nawa district of southern Ghazni province on Friday night.
Mohammad Jan Rasulyar, the deputy governor of Zabul, told Pajhwok Afghan News an 82-mm artillery and a heavy machinegun were seized as a result of the battle, Rasulyar said, adding civilians and security forces suffered no casualties.
An AK-47 rifle and a motorcycle of the fighter were also destroyed, the source added. Neither ISAF nor the Taliban have so far commented on the incidents.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed five policemen suffered causalities in a roadside bombing in the Ziarat area of Shah Joi district. But local officials rejected the claim as baseless.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.