Special security force commander dies in blast
KUNDUZ CITY (PAN): A commander of the newly-established special security force was killed in a roadside bombing in the Khanabad district of northern Kunduz province, officials said on Saturday.
Commander Mohammad Akbar was killed on Friday night in a remote-controlled bomb attack in the Aqtash area, Lt. Col. Sufi Habib, the district police chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said the movement's fighters killed Akbar when he was on a security patrol in the Omarkhel area of Khanabad.
He was a commander of the Jamiat-i-Islami party that fought against the Soviet troops. For the past 18 months, he served a militia commander before being appointed as special security force commander, said resident Ziauddin.
The special force, jointly established by the Afghan government and the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in June, has been working under the Kunduz police headquarters. Its members are paid by ISAF.
Up to 374 members of the force are operating in different parts of the province. About 150 workers were deployed to Aliabad district on the 3rd of August. Initially, some 224 members were stationed in the Qala-i-Zal district in early July.
Each member of the force is paid about $150 (7,056 afghanis) a month, with their commander getting $200 in salary, said Col. Saber Utesky, commander of the German Provincial Reconstruction Team.
Last week, another commander of the force, Ghulam Haidar, and his guard were killed in a similar blast in the Chahar Dara district.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.