Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Key highway dualisation remains halted for 3 years

Key highway dualisation remains halted for 3 years

By
On
Sep 13, 2011 - 15:10

JALALABAD (PANinfo-icon): Dualisation work on the Torkham-Jalalabad highway has been halted for the past three years due to negligence of the Pakistani contractor, Afghan officials said on Tuesday. Pakistanis have yet to honour their promise of resuming work on the road, Deputy Minister of Public Works Ahmad Waheed told Pajhwok Afghan News. "We are perplexed what to do, because we can't award the contract to another company until the Pakistaninfo-icon officials walk out of the agreement," he said. Nearly 70 percent reconstructioninfo-icon work on the 75-kilomentre road has been completed. If Pakistan doesn’t want to complete the project, it should hand the road over to the Afghan government, he added. The ministry has repeatedly contacted Pakistan's National Highway Authority (NHA), foreign ministry and embassy on a timeframe for executing the road project, Director of Public Works Fazal Rabbi said. “They have been cheating us, setting one deadline after another. They claimed releasing money for the construction of the road,” he added. Fifty of the road stretch that has already been constructed might be damaged by monsoon rains, he feared. If Pakistan refuses to construct the remaining part, Afghanistaninfo-icon is ready to build it with financial support from the Ministry of Public Works, he said. After the inauguration of the first lane in 2007, former Pakistan prime minister Shaukat Aziz opened construction work on the second 13-metre wide road. The project was to be completed in a year, said ex-director of public works, Eng. Mohammad Arif. He traveled to Islamabad along with public works ministry officials in May 2009, where Pakistani authorities pledged launching the reconstruction work in the near future, he said. In 2010, the Pakistani government transferred 30 mixers to Jalalabad, but practical work has not begun so far. In July 2011, the contractor renewed their pledge at a meeting with officials from Afghan interior, defence and finance ministries. The single road has been a key factor behind delays in transportation of trade goods and fares, said the deputy head of traders’ association, Najibullah Sahibzada. The road for the eastern Torkham dry-port should be constructed to international standards for transportation of transit goods, said the traffic department head, Col. Ghulam Dastagir Rahimi. myn/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update