Conflicting casualty claims as Kishm operation ends
FAIZABAD (PAN): Government forces claimed on Wednesday killing 23 militants during operations in the Kishm district of northeastern Badakhshan province, the Taliban acknowledged losing only nine fighters.
The operations in Khambak village by the Afghan army commando unit, intelligence operatives and ISAF left 23 rebels dead and 13 others, including six Chechen, detained, a National Directorate of Security (NDS) source said.
Military officer, Gen. Muhammad Ishaq Tamkin, said militant commanders Maulvi Sher Haider and Abdul Malik were among the dead. He said added insurgents managed to flee.
The 209th Shaheen Military Corps' commando unit played a major role in the offensive, during which the security personnel seized 110 hand grenades, four suicide vests and some weapons.
But Capt. Javed Saleem, media officer at the commando unit, said they conducted the operations, with air support from NATO-led troops. Sixteen rebels were killed and 15 others arrested.
Haider was a Taliban commander, who had beheaded 6 shepherds for spying for foreign troops in the district last year, the intelligence source revealed.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed 13 US soldiers, 16 ANA troops and nine fighters were killed during clashes. Another nine US soldiers and a dozen Afghan security personnel were injured, he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.