No claim of responsibility so far
KABUL (PAN): No group has so far asserted responsibility for the assassination of High Peace Council chief, Prof. Burhanuddin Rabbani, who was killed in a suicide bombing at his home in Kabul on Tuesday evening.
The former president was killed along with three members of his panel in the attack in the high-security Wazir Akbar Khan area of the capital.
A security official, who did not want to be named, said the Council Secretariat chief, Masoom Stanikzai, was wounded in the incident.
A Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, said: "Since our investigation is still ongoing, we cannot say anything. News published by a media outlet saying that we have claimed responsibility for the assassination is baseless."
Mujahid criticised a TV channel that held the Taliban responsible for Rabbani's death. Since the assassination, media outlets have come up with different reports, with some blaming the insurgents for the attack and others denying their involvement.
According to a statement from the interior ministry, the assailant had concealed explosives in his turban and detonated them while greeting the ex-president. The bomber introduced himself as a key Taliban commander.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.