Nuristan operation leaves 40 rebels dead
JALALABAD (PAN): Forty militants have so far been killed during a joint operation by Afghan and international forces in the Wanth Waigal district of eastern Nuristan province, officials said on Thursday.
Up to 40 militants have been killed in the offensive so far, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) media office in the eastern zone told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The joint force had launched similar operations in Chapa Dara, Manogai and Watapur districts of Kunar, it said.
The district centre and nearby areas had been cleared of militants, said Maj. Sherin Agha, a spokesman for the 2nd Infantry Brigade of the 201st Selab Military Corps. Afghan forces have set up trenches in five strategic locations of the district.
Nuristan Governor Tamim Nuristani and provincial police chief, Gen. Shamsur Rahman, said Afghan National Army (ANA) and coalition troops did not coordinate the operation with the police.
The governor asked the defence ministry to keep the forces for at least three weeks in the district to provide a chance for police to strengthen their trenches.
If the forces immediately left the district, police might not be able to maintain security in the district, he said.
Four civilians, including three women, were also killed in an airstrike by foreign troops, Nasrullah, a resident of the Naglic village, said.
People wanted to bury the dead militants in the Parkha village, but Afghan and ISAF soldiers did not allow them to do so, he added.
Confirming the death of eight fighters, a Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, claimed several Afghan and foreign troops had also suffered casualties in the operation.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.