Failed candidates vow to continue protest
KABUL (PAN): Failed parliamentary candidates said on Saturday they would continue their struggle till their demand for implementation of the special election tribunal's verdict was accepted by the government.
Those candidates, who pitched a tent in the Pakhtunistan Watt in front of the Presidency almost three weeks ago, said they would continue fighting for the special court's judgment.
The Independent Election Commission (IEC) announced results of last year's parliamentary polls, but the Attorney General declared the outcome null and void.
Set up to look into the alleged electoral fraud, the special panel announced as successful 62 candidates, who were declared failed by the IEC. As a result, the president referred the matter to the commission, which declared nine of the candidates as members of the Wolesi Jirga.
One of the failed candidates from Ghazni, Muhammad Daud Sultanzoi, said had increased their demands. Apart from implementation of the IEC decision, they were also fighting for the supremacy of the law, he added.
Najibullah Mujahid, an unsuccessful candidate from Kabul, said if they failed in reaching a positive result, they would ask the people to push for their rights themselves.
The Coalition for Support of Law, which has 104 members in a house of 249, has been boycotting the Wolesi Jirga since September 4.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.