Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

2 dead, 26 wounded in Lashkargah suicide attack

2 dead, 26 wounded in Lashkargah suicide attack

By
On
Sep 27, 2011 - 11:08

LASHKARGAH (PAN): Two people were killed and 26 others wounded in a suicide attack in Lashkargah, the capital of southern Helmand province, officials said on Tuesday.

The suicide bomber rammed his explosive-laden car into a bakery, supplying food for the Afghan National Army (ANA), near the police headquarters at around 10:30am, Col. Kamaluddin Sherzai, the deputy police chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

In a statement, the Ministry of Interior said two civilians perished and 26 others wounded.

The injured included 10 policemen and 16 civilians, including six children, the governor's spokesman, Daud Ahmadi said.

However, an official at the Bust Hospital said on condition of anonymity that five bodies and 20 injured people had been brought to hospital.

The dead included two policemen and three civilians, he added, concluding that five policemen were among the injured. Some of the wounded were in critical condition.

Shafiqullah, a witness, said the explosion was very powerful, shattering windowpanes in nearby offices and houses. Windshields of some vehicles were also broken.

The site was cordoned off by security forces. The Talibaninfo-icon claimed responsibility for the attack, with their spokesman Qari Yusuf Ahmadi saying that heavy casualties were inflicted on police, but he did not specify the exact numbers.

Security situation has deteriorated after the switch from international troops to their Afghan counterparts in the city on July 20.

Four suicide attacks, explosions and some assassinations have occurred over the past two months, inflicting casualties on around 100 people.

mbg/mud

Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update