Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

19 civilians killed in Nuristan operation: MPs

19 civilians killed in Nuristan operation: MPs

By
On
Sep 28, 2011 - 17:10

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): Afghan and foreign forces killed 19 civilians, including womeninfo-icon and children, during an operation on Sept. 20 in eastern Nuristan province, a parliamentarian said on Wednesday.

Militants had fled the Want Waigal district before the operation was launched, a Wolesi Jirgainfo-icon member from the province, Maulviinfo-icon Ahadullah Mowahid, told a press conference in Kabul.

"For two days, foreign forces did not allow locals to collect the dead bodies that were eaten by animals," the legislator alleged, claiming provincial authorities were not taken into confidence over the operations.

Mowahid said a hospital and several shops in the remote district also came under attack during the offensive, he said.

Another member of the assembly from Nuristan, Hazrat Shah Nuristani, said tribal elder Juma Gul was stabbed to death and several locals were arrested by NATOinfo-icon-led troops. "Such actions only widen the gap between the government and the people."

Provincial council chief, Qazi Inayatullah Mazhabyar, said the district had been under the Talibaninfo-icon's control for the past six months but the fighters left it as a result of the operation.

"The combined force came to the district, killed innocent people and once again left Want Waigal to militants," he remarked.

But the 201 Selab Military Corps spokesman, Col. Noman Hatafi, insists there were no civilian causalities caused by Afghan-ISAFinfo-icon offensive.

The ISAF press office in Kabul said the alliance did not participate in the operation.

mas/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update