3 Taliban killed, 5 wounded
The operation was conducted by the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in the Charaki area of Maidan Shahr late on Saturday night, killing rebel commander Mahmud along with two fighters and wounding a fourth, the governor’s spokesman said.
Shahidullah Shahid told Pajhwok Afghan News the NATO-led troops also took away four insurgents.
The Taliban have not yet commented on the incident, but their spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed the fighters had inflicted casualties on 13 security personnel in Narkh district. However, Shahid rejected the claim as baseless.
Separately, the foreign soldiers conducted an offensive in the Kolman area of the Alingar district in Laghman, wounding Taliban commander Maulvi Abdul Halim along with his three comrades, said Syed Sharif, the district chief.
The Taliban took the wounded fighters to an unknown location, Sharif said, adding no civilians suffered casualties. There has been no word so far from Taliban about the operation.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.