IEC rules out foul play in Barakzai case
KABUL (PAN): Ruling out any foul play in recounting votes for a hunger strike female lawmaker, the Independent Election Commission (IEC) on Tuesday said it was ready for another recount to prove transparency
Semin Barakzai, 32 years old from the western Herat province, had won a seat of Wolesi Jirga last year but in August 2011 the IEC had announced eight MPs including her as failed and declaring other candidates as successful.
Barakzai started her hunger strike on October 2 in a tent near the parliament and her health is deteriorating.
The ousted MPs have all held demonstrations against their removal, but former journalist and beautician Barakzai has vowed to fast to the death, if necessary. Doctors have said her kidneys may be suffering permanent damage.
Addressing a news conference, the IEC head Fazl Ahmad Manawi said decisions taken by the special court were lawful and the IEC had acted accordingly in a transparent manner. He said the IEC could not be held responsible for Barakzai's health, or her death.
"With all these efforts, if she still thinks the commission has acted unlawfully, then anybody can have access to the information about her votes," Manawi told reporters.
MP Rahima Jami, who had replaced Barakzai in Wolesi Jirga, said she was ready for a recount to prove her right. She asked Barakzai to end her hunger strike that was not a solution to the problem.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.