Kunduz: 25 civilians killed, 63 injured in 3 months
KUNDUZ CITY (PAN): About 25 civilians have been killed and 63 others injured in violence-related incidents in northern Kunduz province over the past three months, officials said on Wednesday.
The casualties were inflicted on civilians in roadside bomb explosions, armed and suicide attacks by the insurgents, Maj. Gen. Samiullah Qatra, the provincial police chief, told a news conference.
He claimed the militants used roadside bombs and suicide attacks because they had no courage to enter a engagement with security forces.
Most of the incidents took place in the Dasht-i-Archi, Aliabad and Chardara districts and Kunduz city, he said.
Last month, Qatra said, five civilians, including three children, were killed and three others injured when two civilian vehicles struck a roadside bomb in the Gourtipa and Khwaja Ghaltan areas of Kunduz city.
He also said four security guards were killed and 10 others wounded when three suicide attackers stormed a guest house used by the German Agency for Technical Cooperation (GTZ) in Kunduz city during the holy month of Ramadan this year. The attackers were finally killed by security forces, he said.
Qatra said six civilians were killed and 18 others injured during the first three months of the Afghan calendar year in Kunduz.
The Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) local office in Kunduz said 105 people, including 94 men, 2 women and 9 children, had been killed and 178 others, including four women and 20 children, injured last year.
About 971 civilians were killed over the past three months.
The United Nation said in a report said the Taliban were responsible for 77 percent of civilian casualties and held foreign troops responsible for 12 percent of the casualties.
The report said 1462 civilians were killed over the first six months of current year in Afghanistan.
But the Taliban had rejected the report, saying most of civilians casualties were caused by the international troops.
Nearly 17 rebels were killed, 3 detained and 32 others, including 2 mine planters, arrested in three months, Qatra said.
A rebel commander, Qari Shafiq, was detained along with his three partners during an operation by international troops in the Tubrakash area of Kunduz city.
About 38 different weapons, 28 roadside bombs, 10 jerry-cans of explosives and some vehicles belonging to militants were seized during the period, he added.
Two police officers, four policemen, 7 local policemen, 4 militiamen were killed and 24 others, including a police officer, sergeants, 10 policemen, 8 local policemen and 2 militiamen were injured in roadside bombings, he said.
About 87 suspects had also been detained during 21 overnight operations in cooperation with the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in different areas of Kunduz city, Qatra said.
Up to 700 litres of alcoholic beverages, 17 litres of acid, 29 kilograms of heroines, 38 kilograms of opium were seized during the operations. About 21 suspects had also been arrested in connection with drug trafficking, he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.