Barakzai urges Karzai to order probe into her poll case
It was the twelfth day of hunger strike by the 32 years old from the western Herat province as she started her hunger strike on October 2 in a tent near the parliament.
In August, the Independent Election Commission (IEC) announced eight MPs, including Barakzai, as failed and declared as many others successful previously certified as having lost the Sept 18, 2010 parliamentary election.
Talking to journalists in a press conference at the protest tent, she demanded of the President to constitute a delegation to be comprised of Wolsi Jirga members, civil society, human rights activists and European Union representatives to investigate into the matter.
A press release issued by the ministry of parliamentary affairs on Thursday said a committee had been constituted to probe the Barakzai election case. The five member committee would start its work on Thursday, it said.
The committee included two MPs, two members from the Afghan independent election commission and a civil society member.
"The president has not yet agreed to my demands, even after 12 days of my hunger strike," Barakzai told reporters.
Eight other persons, including an PM and civil society members, had joined Barakzai in hunger strike while the International Human Rights Commission had also demanded a positive respond to Barakzai's demands from the government.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.