Cooking leaves above 200 ISAF soldiers sickBy Pajhwok Reporter Oct 14, 2011 - 14:53
KABUL (PAN): More than 200 members of the International Security Assistance Force have fallen ill after eating at a German canteen in Mazar-i-Sharif, the capital of northern Balkh province, reports said on Friday.
Among the 206 soldiers who had problems after eating included nearly 140 Germans.
The apparent food poisoning took place on Wednesday and is currently being investigated, an ISAF spokesman said. It is not clear what exact symptoms those affected suffered from, but they subsided rapidly, he said.
The canteen’s kitchen was closed and disinfected as soon as the outbreak of sickness was traced back to it. It was then put back into service, and no new cases have been discovered since Wednesday evening, according to the spokesman, who said “the readiness of the troops is not at risk.”
Other military forces, including those of the US and Australia, have also recently suffered from food-borne illness outbreaks.Yet German soldiers have previously been hit by food-bourne illnesses.
Between December 2008 and February 2009, 104 soldiers fell ill with the norovirus at one military installation in Germany. The authorities were eventually able to identify salad as the source.