Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Balkh security improved after transition: Noor

Balkh security improved after transition: Noor

By
On
Oct 16, 2011 - 18:15

MAZAR-I-SHARIF (PANinfo-icon): Balkh Governor Atta Mohammad Noor on Sunday claimed the security situation in the province has improved since local forces took over the security responsibility from their foreign counterparts.

Speaking at a joint press conference with members of the Meshrano Jirgainfo-icon's Defence Commission, Noor said there had been no problem so far since the security transition process took place in Mazar-i-Sharif, the provincial capital.

The delegation visited Mazar-i-Sharif to assess the security situation and evaluate the capability of Afghan forces. The governor said 16 armed attacks had been prevented and 10 militants, including two commanders, arrested.

Another nine militant leaders were detained during operations by Afghan forces and scores of others surrendered with their arms, the governor said, complaining the process of equipping and training local forces had been slow.

Nearly 16,000 army and police personnel have been deployed to nine northern provinces, Noor said, adding as many policemen were operating in one particular province. There was a district in Balkh having 300 villages, but only 30 policemen were deputed there, he added. "In such a situation, how can one expect better security?"

He urged the delegation to make efforts at strengthening local forces in Balkh. He warned if urgent steps for providing modern equipment to local forces were not taken, the transition plan could face problems.

Haji Rooh Gul Khairzada, the Defence Commission chief, told the press conference their visit was aimed at evaluating the security transfer plan. He said they would try to indentify weaknesses in the first phase of the process by assessing the capability of Afghan forces.

He urged the international community not to leave Afghan forces alone during the security transition and enhance their capacity.

Residents of Mazar are also of the view that the security situation has improved in the city after the handover of the security responsibility to Afghan forces.

Habibullah, a resident, said local forces had been able to maintain security for the city. In the past, they had to live in fear due to the presence of foreign troops, he concluded.

ma/mud

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update