Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Omar asks fighters to protect civilian life, property

Omar asks fighters to protect civilian life, property

By
On
Nov 05, 2011 - 16:48

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): The Talibaninfo-icon supreme leader, Mullahinfo-icon Mohammad Omar, has asked the fighters to protect life and property of civilians and avoid harming them during their operations.

In a statement congratulating Afghans on the occasion of Eidul Azha, Omar said the fighters should protect the property and lives of common people in line with their Shariahinfo-icon responsibility.

He said common people had been demanding that international troops should keep away their patrols and convoys from residential areas so civilians stay unhurt during rebel attacks.

Omar also expressed his opposition to convening the Loya Jirgainfo-icon and the establishment of the proposed US permanent military bases.

On civilian deaths, the Taliban leader said the armed fighters would be punished in light with Shariah laws if found guilty.

A UN report issued earlier this year said the number of civilians killed in conflict in Afghanistaninfo-icon rose by 15 per cent in the first six months of this year

Releasing figures that showed 1,462 non-combatants died, with insurgents responsible for 80 per cent of the killings.

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) said deaths attributable to anti-government elements rose by 28 per cent compared to the same period last year, noting that the dramatic spike in casualties was mainly due to the use of explosive devices (IEDs).

Pro-government forces were responsible for 14 per cent of civilian deaths, a nine per cent drop from casualty figures from a comparable period last year. Six per cent of civilian deaths were not attributed to any party to the conflict.


Tags: 

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

Twitter Update