Daily Security Breif: November 16, 2011
Hideouts of militants loyal to Abu Nasir and Maulvi Khaleswere were targeted in the Sara Rogha area at around 9:30am, killing 16 insurgents, a government official told Pajhwok Afghan News on condition of anonymity.
The strike was carried out on two houses in a mountainous area, said resident Naseer Azam. Four missiles were fired by the drone, destroying the houses, he added.
Azam feared the causalities could rise as some of the injured were in critical condition and others trapped under the rubble. It was the second drone raid over the past 24 hours. Five rebels were killed a day earlier.
The troops died in two separate roadside bombings, the NATO-led force said in a brief statement. In line with its policy, ISAF neither disclosed the soldiers' nationalities nor the exact locations.
With the latest fatalities, the number of international servicemembers killed in Afghanistan so far during the current year has gone up to 525, compared to 711 in 2010.
KABUL: Five insurgents were killed and nine others detained during a string of operations in different provinces over the past 24 hours, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said on Wednesday.
The operations involving Afghan and the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) troops were carried out in Helmand, Khost, Ghazni and Laghman provinces, the ministry said a statement.
Five militants were killed and nine others were captured alive during the operations, it said. Two AK-47 assault rifles, as many machineguns, two pistols, a hand grenade, two kilograms of heroin, 30 kg of hashish, one kg of opium were seized, the statement said.
Five anti-vehicle mines planted under a bridge by insurgents were defused in Dawlatshah district of eastern Laghman province, it added.
A suspected insurgent carrying eight pistols was detained in the Sang-i-Nawashta area of Kabul, where a group of kidnapers who had abducted a resident of Kabul City some days ago was arrested and the abducted person was set free, the statement said.
NANGARHAR: NATO-led troops said on Wednesday they had arrested four suspected militants in the Khogyani district of eastern Nangarhar province.
The arrests came during a raid in the Daveekhel village on Tuesday night, district chief, Haji Mohammad Hassan, told Pajhwok Afghan News. However, he did not say who the detainees were.
Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, the governor's spokesman, confirmed the raid and detentions by the international soldiers.
--Abdul Mueed Hashami
URUZGAN: Two militants were killed during separate clashes with police in central Uruzgan province, an official said on Wednesday.
The first gunbattle erupted in Chora district on Wednesday morning, police spokesman Farid Ayal told Pajhwok Afghan News. One militant was killed and another wounded during the clash. A policeman also sustained injuries.
One insurgent was killed and another injured in a separate clash with police in the Sar Murghab area of Tirinkot, the provincial capital, according to Ayal.
On Tuesday, a police car struck a roadside bomb in Chora, but there were no casualties.
LOGAR: Four suspected Taliban fighters were arrested during a joint operation in the Baraki Barak district of central Logar province, an official said on Wednesday.
The operation was conducted by Afghan and International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) on Tuesday night, a spokesman for the 203rd Military Crops told Pajhwok Afghan News. Shad Gul Hotak said the detainees included a rebel commander.
He said two Kalashnikovs, four walkie-talkies, as many laptops, two pistols and a gun were seized from the detainees.
A statement from ISAF media office said a number of insurgents including a fighter from Haqqani network, were arrested in the operation.
ZABUL: A civilian was killed and four others were injured in a roadside bombing in the southern province of Zabul, officials said on Wednesday.
The incident took place at 4pm on Tuesday when a civilian van struck a roadside bomb in the Noorak area between Qalat, the provincial capital, and Shah Joy district on Kabul-Kandahar highway, the governor’s spokesman, Mohammad Jan Rasulyar, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
A civilian was killed and four others, including children were wounded, he said, adding some of the victims were taken to the Qalat Civil Hospital, while others with critical injuries were evacuated to Kandahar Hospital.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.