Daily Security Brief: November 22, 2011
BAGHLAN: Five family members of a family were wounded when unidentified assailants lobbed a hand grenade into their house in northern Baghlan province, an official said on Tuesday.
The incident took place in the Joyee Bori area of Nehrin district late on Monday night, the district's administrative head, Fazl Rahman, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The wounded included a woman and a child, who were reported to be in critical condition, he said, adding most of the people living in the area had illegal weapons due to family feuds.
A doctor at Baghlan Civil Hospital, Mohammad Nasir, said three wounded people had been brought to the hospital for medical treatment.
--Habib Rahman Sherzai
KABUL: Twenty-five insurgents were killed and three others wounded during joint operations in different provinces over the past 24 hours, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said on Tuesday.
The operations were conducted by Afghan and International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) personnel in Kandahar, Helmand, Uruzgan, Khost, Paktia, and provinces, a statement from the ministry said.
One AK-47 assault rifles with seven magazines, one heavy machine gun, one Walkie-talkie, two landmines, one hand grenade, 55 kilograms of crystal and two motorbikes were seized.
In southern Helmand province, a suicide bomber was shot dead after being identified by the security personnel in Nahr-i-Saraj district.
In the meantime, two anti-vehicle mines and seven pressure plates were defused and one BM-1 round seized in Kandahar, Maidan Wardak and Helmand.
KABUL: Eight soldiers of the Afghan National Army (ANA) and five policemen have been wounded in a suicide bombing and other incidents of violence over the past 24 hours.
A suicide bomber detonated his suicide vest on Monday evening when security personnel were returning from a poppy prevention campaign in the Pul area of Greshk district, a statement from the governor's office said.
Three policemen were slightly injured in the blast, the statement added. Two more policemen were wounded and their vehicle damaged in a missile attack in the same district.
Up to 60 landmines and three mortars were destroyed during an operation by Afghan and International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) troops in Sangin district.
Separately, eight ANA soldiers were wounded in security incidents in Parwan, Paktia and Kandahar provinces, the Ministry of Interior in Kabul said.
One of the servicemembers was killed following an insurgent attack while the second soldier died in a roadside bombing on Monday, the NATO-led troops, said in a brief statement.
In line with its policy, ISAF neither revealed the servicemembers’ nationalities nor the exact locations of the incidents, but mostly American, British, and Canadian troops are deployed to the south.
With the latest fatalities, the number of international troops killed in Afghanistan so far during the current year has gone up to 534. In 2010, the deadliest year for foreign soldier, ISAF lost 711 personnel in the country.
--Javed Hamim Kakar
LAGHMAN: Four civilians were killed and three others injured in a roadside bombing in eastern Laghman province on Tuesday, officials said.
The victims were traveling to Mehtarlam and their car struck a roadside bomb at 9:30am in the Chinchar area of Alingar district, Sayed Sharif Pacha, the district chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Four civilians were killed and three others injured in the incident, he added.
The injured were taken to the Mehtarlam Civil Hospital by police, said the district police chief, Col. Adam Khan.
He accused Taliban fighters of planting the roadside bomb, saying the security personnel had launched an investigation into the incident.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the bombing.
LOGAR: Two civilians were killed during a clash between foreign troops and suspected militants in the Baraki Barak district of central Logar province, official and residents said on Tuesday.
However, eyewitnesses blamed the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) troops for the killings.
Baraki Barak district chief, Mohammad Rahim Amin, said the two were killed after being caught in the crossfire. He said it was not immediately known who killed the two. Amin also said seven mines were detected and defused in the Baraki Rajan area.
Resident Zubair said, "The victims have gone to a nearby hill to collect wood when ISAF troops opened fire on them".
The ISAF media office in Kabul in a statement said they had no report if civilians had suffered casualties during the operation in Baraki Barak.
Separately, two Taliban militants were killed and as many others injured during a clash with police in western Farah province.
The clash happened on Monday night in Bala Baluk district after a group of Taliban stormed a police check post, police officer Col. Mohammad Ghaus Malyar said.
He said the police and civilians suffered no casualties in the clash.
--Maqsud Azizi & Ramin
NANGARHAR: As many as 140 people have been arrested on the charge of cultivating the banned poppy crop over the past 20 days in eastern Nangarhar province, an official said on Tuesday.
The arrests were made in Sherzad, Achin, Lalpura, Khogyani, Pachir Agam and Spin Ghar districts, the governor's spokesman, Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The growers were arrested following a series of meetings between officials at the governor's house to prevent the cultivation of poppies.
He said the governor had ordered stern action against poppy growers. The detainees would not be released on requests from tribal elders, he suggested.
Achin district chief, Hassan Khan, said 36 farmers had been arrested in the Abdulkhel, Pekha, Koshtal, Bandar and Shadal areas of Achin and Spin Ghar districts.
Last year, Nangarhar could not achieve the id="mce_marker"0 million reward for failing to curb the cultivation of the illicit crop.
--Abdul Mueed Hashimi
PAKTIA: Eleven suspected militants have been arrested by Afghan and international troops during a joint operation in the Ahmadkhel district of southeastern Paktia province, officials said on Tuesday.
The International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said the detainees had links with the Haqqani network, blamed for a string of attacks in different parts of the country.
District chief, Zwani Khan Wank, confirmed the joint operation and arrests, but he had no information about the identity of the detainees.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.