4 sentenced to death in 2009 Kandahar shooting case
KABUL (PAN): The Supreme Court has sentenced to death four private security guards, while several others were given prison terms ranging from 10 years to 20 years, in connection with a 2009 shooting that left 10 officers, including the then Kandahar police chief, dead, a statement from Karzai's office said on Friday.
The four sentenced to death were among 41 private security guards tried for the June 2009 shooting. The Supreme Court also sentenced five individuals to 20 years in jail, seven individuals to 16 years in jail, and 25 others to 10 years in jail, the apex court Chief Justice Abdul Salam Azeemi told a meeting headed by President Hamid Karzai at the Presidential Palace on Thursday, the palace said a statement.
The dead included former Kandahar police chief, Brig. Gen Matiullah Qati, and the crime investigation branch chief Abdul Khaliq Hamdard and eight other policemen in the gun battle at a government complex.
At that time Kandahar Governor Thoryalai Wesa had said 41 private security guards arrested in connection with the incident had been disarmed and sent to Kabul for a military trial.
The gunfire broke out as private security guards moved into a government complex and demanded the release of a man being held in custody.
Qati and Hamdard were among 10 officers killed outside the attorney general's office.
Karzai has said the private security guards involved in the battle were working for US coalition forces and demanded they be handed over. He has said the incident should thoroughly be investigated and those involved punished accordingly.
The Chief Justice told the meeting all the accused were convicted in the initial hearing.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.