Laghman fails to utilise development budgetBy Obaidullah Baidar Dec 26, 2011 - 20:23
MEHTARLAM (PAN): Only $6 million of this year's $16.4 million development budget approved for eastern Laghman province has so far been utilised, a senior official said on Monday.
Governor Muhammad Iqbal Azizi, speaking to a parliamentary delegation, said the uplift spending could not be fully utilised due to delayed receipts.
$5 million was spent on projects including wells, bridges, roads, drainage and several other schemes, Rural Rehabilitation and Development Director Muhammad Jafar Jabbarkhel told the visiting team. The remaining amount would be spent till the end of the ongoing fiscal year, he said.
Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock Director Muhammad Ismail said his department had spent $250 million of the total $358 million on several projects and the remaining amount had been set aside for other plans.
MP Zafnun Sapi said she was pleased with the performance of provincial departments, acknowledging the quality of governance had improved in the province.