6 children, man killed in Uruzgan blast
TIRINKOT (PAN): Six children and an elderly man were killed in a mine blast in central Uruzgan province on Friday, police said.
Another four children were injured in the blast that took place in the Toori area of Tirinkot city, the provincial capital, at around 3pm, police spokesman, Farid Ayel, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
A witness, Pashtun, said the bomb was planted in a garbage dump and the children were playing nearby when it went off.
He said the dead and wounded children were of ages between six and nine years.
A doctor on duty at the Tirinkot civil hospital said one of the injured children died on his way to the hospital, taking the death toll to seven. He said two of the injured were in a critical condition.
No one has so far claimed responsibility for the incident that came amid reports that talks between the Taliban and the US are expected to take place in Qatar, where the insurgents would have an office for the negotiations.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.