10 militants killed, 30 held in Balkh offensive
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (PAN): Ten armed insurgents were killed and 30 others detained during a joint operation in the Charkand district of northern Balkh province, officials said on Tuesday.
The operation was conducted by the Afghan National Army (ANA)'s commando unit, backed by the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF), a spokesman for the unit, Ahmad Javed Salim, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said the offensive resulted in the death of 10 militants and arrest of 30 others. An ammunition depot belonging to the militants was destroyed and dozens of weapons and a suicide vest seized.
However, a spokesman for the 303rd Pamir Zone Police, Lal Mohammad Ahmadzai, said 70 fighters were killed and wounded. He added the operation was carried out in mountainous parts of the district.
In Kabul, the ISAF media office said in a statement seven militants were killed and 30 others detained in the operation. There has been no word so far from the Taliban about the offensive.