20 militants surrender in Nangarhar
JALALABAD (PAN): Twenty militants joined the reconciliation process as a result of joint efforts by National Directorate of Security (NDS) officials and provincial peace council members in eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Sunday.
The fighters had been active against the government in Achin, Haska Mina and Rodat districts, Deputy Governor Muhammad Hanif Gardiwal told a news conference. The insurgents also turned in 20 heavy weapons, he said, promising jobs for the individuals renouncing violence.
The group, including a commander, handed a machine gun, two rocket launchers and other weapons to security forces, said Malak Nazir, the High Peace Council head for the Nangarhar chapter.
A 16-year-old surrendering militant, Muqaddas, said his father had taken him to a religious school, Hashmia Madrasa, in Pakistan's Khyber tribal region, where they lived as refugees.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.