Accidents & Disasters
High school gutted in Parwan fireBy Farid Tanha Jan 29, 2012 - 17:42
CHARIKAR (PAN): A fire comprehensively damaged a school building in central Parwan province on Sunday, an official said.
The incident took place in the Siddiqui High School in the first police district of Charikar, the provincial capital, the police chief told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Doused after three hours of efforts, the blaze was apparently a result of carelessness of school guards, Maj. Gen. Mohammad Akram believed. Police have launched an investigation.
Principal for the female section, Najibullah, said the fire was caused by a stove of guards in a classroom and then engulfed other parts of the building. Nearly 2,000 boys and girls are studying in the school.
Mayor Khwaja Roohullah Siddiqui estimated the loss at $300,000, saying 12 classrooms, furniture and a laboratory had been gutted.