Here is Pajhwok’s continuous news coverage of the presidential runoff...
Security and Crime
3 die after inhaling poisonous gas in PaktiaBy Daud Tapan Feb 7, 2012 - 17:33
GARDEZ (PAN): Three people were killed after inhaling poisonous gas inside a well in the Mirzaka district of southeastern Paktia province, an official said on Tuesday.
The incident happened in Andwam area, where two brothers and their cousin made a bet to dip into the well, deputy governor Abdur Rahman Mangal told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The first person fell unconscious and did not surface for a long time, the two others plunged into the well to rescue him, but they too fell unconscious, the official said.
Provincial council chief, Shayesta Jan Ahadi said the victims belonged to the same family. He said many people had died of inhaling toxic gases inside the deep wells.
However, a resident of area, whishing anonymity, said the brothers had developed a dispute with their cousin near a well. The three accidentally fell inside the well and died, he said.