Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Investigators seek end to civilian casualties

Investigators seek end to civilian casualties

Feb 13, 2012 - 21:11

KABULinfo-icon (PANinfo-icon): A team investigating civilian deaths in Kunar and Kapisa provinces on Monday urged an immediate end to the collateral damage in NATOinfo-icon-led airstrikes, saying mere apologies and condolences were no more acceptable to the people.

Investigations by the teams appointed by President Hamid Karzai show 15 civilians, including womeninfo-icon and children, were killed in an airstrike and a ground operation by the International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon).

Seven people of a family were killed in the Sawkai district of Kunar and another eight children in the Nijrab district of central Kapisa province, investigators told a news conference in Kabul.

Maulviinfo-icon Shahzada Shahid, head of the delegation that returned from Kunar, said coalition soldiers had not informed local officials about their operation in the Diwagul village of Sawkai on January 26.

In addition to seven civilians, two gunmen were also killed during the offensive. Shahid said residents would resist if foreign soldiers continued ignoring demands of the Afghan government, Parliament and the traditional jirgainfo-icon.

"When the international community kills us, we won’t accept death without resistance. And if the president, national assembly, ulemainfo-icon council and high peace councilinfo-icon cannot protect us, we must defend ourselves…" Shahid quoted tribal elders of Kunar as saying.

Investigators returning from Kapisa said the February 8 NATO strike had killed children between 6 and 14 years of age.

Heading the probe team, Mohammad Zahir Sapi, showed the victims’ pictures to media representatives and said despite disagreements among intelligence operatives, French soldiers carried out the operation in the Giawa area of Nijrab district.

Intelligence officials had told French troops that there were no insurgents in the area and if there were any, Afghan spies could carry out an operation, he said, adding the alliance did not inform district officials.

According to Shahid, French soldiers also confirmed the operation had been based on wrong information and the victims were innocent children.


Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update