All private security firms to be dissolved till March 21
KABUL (PAN): Ministry of Interior officials on Tuesday said 57 private security firms had been dissolved and the remaining 46 would be disbanded until March 21.
In August 2010, President Hamid Karzai ordered the disbandment of all private security companies in the country. He said all private security firms should be disbanded by the end of 2010.
The Ministry of Interior (MoI) said 6,270 pieces of weapons were recovered from illegal armed groups across the country during the outgoing year. The weapons were handed over to the Disbandment of Illegal Armed Groups (DIAG) programme.
According to the annual report of the ministry, 3,050 criminal cases were registered during the current year and 3,594 suspects introduced to judicial organs. It said 3,360 militants were killed, and 5,200 others detained during 2,075 police operations.
Also, police recovered more than 4,130 pieces of weapons and defused 3,367 roadside bombs, an MoI statement said, adding over 125 tonnes of narcotics, 67 tonnes of chemicals used for making heroin and 4,250 bottles of alcohol were seized.
According to the statement, more than 12,437 acres of poppy crops had been eradicated in different parts of the country as well as 33 labs of heroin were destroyed and 848 suspects were arrested this year.
The strength of police increased from 122,000 to 149,000 this year. It will rise to 157,000 next year. Police would be provided with modern equipment, including armoured vehicles and heavy weapons, the ministry promised.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.