Daily Security Brief: February 15, 2012
KUNDUZ: Two people were killed and a woman injured during an airstrike by foreign troops in the Khanabad district of northern Kunduz province, an official said on Wednesday.
International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) helicopters hit the Aqtash area, killing two brothers and injuring a woman, the district police chief, Col. Habib, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
A man and his son were detained during the operation, according to the police officer, who said the injured woman had been shifted to a health facility in the area.
He added the victims had no ties to insurgents and that the operation was carried without consultation with local officials.
Meanwhile, the NATO-led force said an Afghan and coalition force conducted the operation in search of a Taliban leader, blamed for attacks against civilians and Afghan forces.
“During the operation, two armed insurgents displayed hostile intent toward the
security force,” ISAF said in response to an emailed query from Pajhwok. “The security force engaged, killing the two insurgents. One additional suspected insurgent was detained."
Resident Noor Ahmad said: “Several helicopters flew over the Laghmani village late on Tuesday night. In the morning, I learnt that two brothers were killed and as many others arrested by NATO-led troops.”
NANGARHAR: Foreign troops detained a religious scholar in the Ghanikhel district of the eastern province of Nangarhar on Wednesday, with the Ulema Council seeking the immediate release of its member.
Helicopter-borne International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) soldiers detained Maulvi Gulab Hassankhel and his brother, Turab, during the predawn raid on their house in the Galaee village.
Ulema Council head Maulvi Bahrullah told Pajhwok Afghan News the detainees had no links with militants. The council warned of staging protests if the the religious leader was not freed within 12 hours.
The government was constitutionally responsible for protecting the lives and property of citizens, he said, asking the rulers not to allow foreigners to conduct such irresponsible operations.
District chief Esa Khan Zwak confirmed the arrest of two people, but refused to give further details.
Meanwhile, a statement from ISAF confirmed the arrest of two militant commanders during a joint operation in the Shinwari district of Nangarhar. It accused the detainees of planning and conducting operations and supplying weapons to rebels.