Daily Security Brief: February 21, 2012By Pajhwok Reporter Feb 21, 2012 - 16:50
HELMAND: The Taliban killed four people on charges of cooperating with the government in southern Helmand province, officials said on Tuesday.
The incident took place in the Shah Pusthi area of Washer district late on Monday, Daud Ahmadi, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The victims provided satellite phone services to residents in the area, where mobile phone did not work, he said, adding the Taliban suspected them of spying for the government.
Daud Noorzai, the town’s administrative chief, confirmed the incident, saying two of the dead were locals and the others hailed from Gramsir district.
The insurgents had warned residents against moving the bodies from their stronghold, the district chief said, adding the victims had no links with the government.
KANDAHAR: An Afghan policeman shot dead two Albanian soldiers with the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) command in southern Kandahar province, the Albanian defence ministry and Afghan officials said on Tuesday.
The Albanian defence ministry confirmed two of its soldiers were killed when an Afghan policeman turned his gun on the international troops in Kandahar. It said initially one soldier was killed, but later a second succumbed to his injuries in a health facility.
Albania has 286 soldiers in Afghanistan, mostly deployed to the capital Kabul and Kandahar province. Three Albanian soldiers have been killed since the NATO-led mission began in the country a decade back.
The incident took place in the Robat area of Spin Boldak district late on Monday, Zalmay Ayubi, the governor’s spokesman, told Pajhwok Afghan News. The shooting occurred after an Afghan national police officer had a verbal clash with Albanian soldiers.
One soldier was killed on the spot and three others, including a US servicemember, were wounded, he said. Denying the involvement of insurgents in the attack, Ayubi said the incident was being investigated.
Meanwhile, ISAF confirmed the incident, but issued no details. Last month, an Afghan National Army (ANA) soldier opened fire on French troops in central Kapisa province, killing four soldiers and wounding 16 others.
After the attack, France suspended its training mission in the country and warned to withdraw its troops a year ahead of the 2014 deadline. A report from the US Congress says 45 attacks by Afghan forces on international soldiers have killed 70 foreign soldiers and injured 110 others since 2007.
KUNAR: One person was killed and two others were injured in an attack on a former militant commander who recently joined the peace process in eastern Kunar province on Tuesday, officials said.
Unidentified gunmen attacked the commander’s associates in the Pashand area of Sarkano district at 2pm, Shah Muhammad, the district chief, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The former Taliban leader, Obaidullah, is a resident of the Sahar Abad village and laid down his arms along with nine other companions two weeks ago. He escaped unhurt in the attack, the district chief said.
According to Dr Muhammad Farooq Sahak, an official of Asadabad Civil Hospital, the injured were in stable condition.
--Khan Wali Salarzai