ISAF personnel withdrawn from Afghan ministries
KABUL (PAN): The International Security and Assistance Force (ISAF) recalled all its military personnel serving at Afghan ministries, hours after two US advisors were found dead inside the heavily-guarded interior ministry in Kabul.
The foreign nationals were shot dead late on Saturday, the fifth day of violent nationwide protests sparked by the alleged desecration of the Quran by US troops at the Bagram airbase in central Parwan province.
In a brief statement late on Saturday, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said two foreigners were killed inside the building, hours after some media outlets reported gunshots inside the compound.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the killing, saying it was in retaliation for the Quran burning. The insurgent movement said four US military officers had been killed in the attack, carried out by its member Abdur Rahman.
ISAF Commander Gen. John R. Allen condemned the attack and said: “My thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of the brave individuals lost today.
"We are investigating the crime and will pursue all leads to find the person responsible for this attack. The perpetrator is a coward whose actions will not go unanswered," he said in a statement.
Calling the murder unprecedented action in the decade-long war, he said, "For obvious force protection reasons, I have also taken immediate measures to recall all other ISAF personnel working in ministries in and around Kabul.
"We are committed to our partnership with the Government of Afghanistan to reach our common goal of a peaceful, stable and secure Afghanistan in the near future," Gen. Allen concluded.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.