Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Quran burning an unforgiveable mistake: Gen. Kneip

Quran burning an unforgiveable mistake: Gen. Kneip

Feb 26, 2012 - 21:55

MAZAR-I-SHARIF (PANinfo-icon): The International Security Assistance Force (ISAFinfo-icon) commander in the north, Brig. Gen.  Markus Kneip, on Sunday denounced the burning of the Quraninfo-icon by US troops as an unforgiveable mistake.

The blasphemous act at the hands of US troops at the Bagram airfield has sparked deadly protests that entered a sixth consecutive day on Sunday, leaving scores of people dead and hundreds wounded.

Gen.  Kneip, who handed over charge to the new ISAF commander for the region, Brig. Gen. Erich Pfeffer, during a change-of-command ceremony in Mazar-i-Sharif, once again appologised for the Quran burning incident.

“It is an unforgiveable mistake. I condemn it and apologise to Afghans,” Kneip told participants of the ceremony, attended by foreign and Afghan security officials.

He said their aim was to help the Afghans and acts like the desecration of the holy book could damage their mission. The outgoing commander promised efforts at preventing such incidents in the future and vowed to stay in close relationship with Afghan counterparts.

He said the non-participation of Afghan officials in the ceremony was due to the aftermath of the incident, saying he did not want them to leave their offices under the current circumstances.

The German commander rejected media reports that troops from his country had abandoned northern Takhar province, saying it was a temporary move. He said the 50-member PRTinfo-icon left Taloqan after construction work on a new building for its office was launched.

He said the pullout had been coordinated with the governor and the Transition Commission head, Dr. Ashraf Ghani Ahmazai. He said the troops would return to the city after the building was completed.

Incoming commander, Brig. Gen. Erich Pfeiffer, said their combat mission would change to a supportive role next year. He vowed to preserve the gains achieved by foreign and Afghan troops over the past years and strengthen Afghan forces.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update