Nangarhar airstrike leaves 6 rebels dead
JALALABAD (PAN): Six insurgents were killed as a result of an airstrike by the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Wednesday.
The militants were targeted on Tuesday after they fired rockets toward an ISAF helicopter in the Khwaran area of Khogyani district, the provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Abdullah Stanikzai, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Hajji Abdul Khaleq, a tribal elder, said the fighters attacked the helicopter near the military base of foreign troops, but they were shot dead in retaliatory strike. The victims’ bodies were transferred to Khogyani district hospital by the area people.
Taliban confirmed the casualties with their spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid claiming four foreign and 10 Afghan soldiers had been killed in the clash. However officials called the claim as groundless.