3 militants killed in Nangarhar airstrike
KABUL (PAN): Three militants were killed in an airstrike by NATO-led troops in the Batikot district of eastern Nangarhar province, bordering Pakistan’s lawless tribal region of Khyber, officials said on Friday.
The insurgents were killed in a joint Afghan-International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) operation late on Thursday night, a spokesman for the 201st Selab Military Corps told Pajhwok Afghan News.
Bodies of the fighters had been handed over to the district police headquarters, Col. Nauman Hatif said, adding six Kalashnikovs, one machine gun, a rocket and one pistol were recovered from the scene.
Haji Zalmay, the district chief, confirmed the joint operation in the Char Deh area of the district. “One of those killed hails from central Logar province while the two others are from Nangarhar province.”
Meanwhile, Taliban confirmed the loss of four fighters in a clash with foreign troops. Rebel spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the guerrillas attacked an ISAF patrol, killing three foreign soldiers and injuring four others. Two tanks were also destroyed, he concluded.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.