Militants surrender weapons, adopt peaceful life
MEHTARLAM (PAN): Ten militants, who admitted they were fighting against the government due to false information, decided to lay arms and join the peace process in eastern Laghman province, officials said on Monday.
The militant group’s commander Abdul Kabir said they were fighting against the government due to lack of knowledge.
“We were told that everyone in Afghanistan was infidel, but when we saw all are Muslims here, we are giving up fighting,” he said.
The group was active in Gardi Salab area of Alingar district, returned to normal life after local elders and National Directorate of Security (NDS) officials coaxed them to lay down arms, a NDS official told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The militants surrendered over eight Kalashnikovs, one rocket and binocular to NDS.
In a news briefing, Governor Iqbal Azizi said a total of 265 militants had joined the government peace initiative so far, including 110 in the last one week.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.