Project to revive forests in east next solar year
JALALABAD (PAN): A Danish-funded project worth $15 million would be launched next Afghan year, beginning March 21, to conserve and develop forests in eastern provinces, officials said on Tuesday.
Eng. Muhammad Mohsin, the Nangarhar agriculture, irrigation and livestock director told Pajhwok Afghan News the project would be launched in Nangarhar, Kunar and Laghman provinces under the leadership of the agriculture ministry.
A four-day training course involving 1000 people had been launched to train them into guarding the forests, he said.
Mohsin recalled forests spread over 134000 hectares of land in Nangarhar, 77000 hectares in Laghman and 200000 hectares in Kunar had been destroyed due to the three-decade-old conflict.
However, he hoped the new project would help improve forest conditions and create public awareness, flourish nurseries and security.
Hajji Usman, a tribal elder from Shinwari tribe in Nangarhar, said his tribe maintained security for forests in the Haska Meni district and in Spin Ghar mountains under an agreement with other tribes.
He said the government did not help them in preservation forests, and that the new project would have a positive impact on the safety of jungles.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.