400 militants killed or wounded in north
MAZAR-I-SHARIF (PAN): More than 400 Taliban fighters were either killed or wounded during above 100 operations by Afghan soldiers and police in northern Balkh province over the past one year, an official said on Thursday.
Speaking at a news conference about preparations for the Nawroz festival, the 303 police zone commander Gen. Babajan said the mentioned number of militants were killed and wounded in nine northern provinces.
He said foreign troops took part in 62 of the more than 100 operations, adding 199 insurgents were arrested and 772 weapons, 300 bombs and 13 suicide vests were seized.
On peace process, Babajan said 752 guerrilla fighters had joined the process during the period.
Seven heroin-making factories were destroyed during the outgoing Afghan year and 2,000 kilograms of drugs seized, he said.
He also said elaborate security arrangements were put in place to ensure the Nawroz festival passed off peacefully, adding more than 1,600 soldiers had been deployed to different parts of the province to ensure security for visitors.
In northern Faryab, a military official, who did not want to be named, said three Taliban fighters, including a deputy shadow district chief for Pashtunkot district, had been arrested.
The detainees included Mullah Rohullah Pahlawan, Mullah Jilan and Abdul Wahab, who operated under command of Mullah Alam, the shadow Taliban governor for Faryab.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.