Suicide attack planners detained in Farah
FARAH CITY/ GHAZNI CITY (PAN): Security officials in Farah and Ghazni provinces on Tuesday claimed detaining four suicide attack planners and as many other suspects trying to disrupt the Nawroz festival.
A security official who did not want to be named told Pajhwok Afghan News that the four men were arrested in Qala Arbab and Regi villages on the outskirts of Farah City, the provincial capital, late Monday.
Two suicide vests, three Kalashnikovs, one rocket launcher with 15 shells, 25 hand grenades and explosives were seized from the house where the militants were arrested.
Naqibullah Farahi, the governor's spokesman, confirmed the arrests, saying that the detainees planned attacks on ceremonies marking the Afghan New Year.
Elsewhere, police held four suspects trying to disrupt Nawroz celebration in Ghazni City. According to the intelligent director, Syed Amir Shah, the men were arrested in the Dehaji area.
He said the detainees had been involved in kidnappings. Another six members of the group that killed an 18-year-old boy after abducting him a few days ago had also been arrested, he added.
Separately, one security guard of a logistic convoy was killed and another two were wounded. Nine vehicles were burnt when the Taliban fighters attacked the convoy on the Delaram-Gulistan highway in Farah.
The logistic convoy was on its way from Herat to the Shorabk district of Helmand province when the insurgents attacked it in the afternoon, said Col. Abdul Rauf Ahmad, a police spokesman.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.