2 children dead in Kandahar suicide blast
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): Two children were killed and eight people injured in a suicide attack in southern Kandahar province on Thursday, officials said.
A second suspected suicide bomber was gunned down by police soon after he disembarked from a vehicle in the 10th police district, the governor's spokesman, Zalmai Ayubi, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
"Of the two men were riding a vehicle, one got out and headed to the police station, but security guards at gate shot him dead," he said, adding the second man then detonated his explosives.
Ayubi said the wounded people included three children, as many women and two policemen. They were taken to the Kandahar Civil Hospital, where doctors say some of the injured are in critical condition.
The suicide blast came 30 minutes after three people were injured when police tried to defuse a bomb in the Durahi area of the city.
Although local officials blamed the Taliban for the attacks, no one has so far asserted responsibility.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.