41 Taliban killed, 17 held in operations
SHARANA (PAN): At least 33 rebels were killed in southeastern Paktika province over the past two weeks and another eight in the last 24 hours in various provinces, officials said on Saturday.
An operation that was launched on March 20 in different areas of Paktika by Afghan security forces ended on Friday, Gen. Zmarai, the 203rd Thunder Military Corps commander, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The two-week offensive resulted in the death of 33 rebels and capture of five others, the commander said. The security personnel also seized weapons and explosives.
He added most of the dead were suspected Pakistani rebels, who had crossed the border into Afghanistan.“Thirteen anti-vehicle mines were defused and no civilian or security personnel were hurt in the clashes.”
However, the Taliban dismissed the claims as groundless, with their spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid saying that no fighters had been killed or detained during the operation.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Interior said eight insurgents were killed and 12 others arrested during operations in different provinces over the past 24 hours.
The operations were conducted by Afghan and NATO-led international troops in Kabul, Kunduz, Kandahar, Helmand, Nimroz, Logar, Ghazni, Khost and Paktia provinces. Seven anti-vehicle mines were confiscated in the operations.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.