Afghan forces move to counter Taliban’s spring offensive
KANDAHAR CITY (PAN): An official of the Afghan National Army (ANA) said on Tuesday the militants could not fight security forces that were trying to contain the insurgency in the summer.
A commander of the 205th Atal Military Corps said they had launched an operation in Dand and Punjwai districts of Kandahar to prevent militants’ reorganisation and their spring offensive.
Speaking to Pajhwok Afghan News, Brig. Gen. Ahmad Habibi said it was the first time that ANA, Afghan police and the National Directorate of Security (NDS) were conducting an operation independently.
Afghan army helicopters were being used in the offensive, he said, adding almost 3,700 ANA soldiers were taking part in the operation. Seven suspects have been held so far with a number of arms and ammunition.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.