Nuristan police surrender to rebels denied
PAROON (PAN): Officials on Thursday rejected as propaganda reports that some policemen had joined the insurgents after a series of attacks on security posts near the Pakistani border in eastern Nuristan province.
The governor’s spokesman, Mohammad Zarin, told Pajhwok Afghan News the rebels after their recent failed attacks in Kamdesh and Doab districts were spreading propaganda that some policemen had surrendered to them.
Last week, he recalled, Afghan and Pakistani insurgents launched an attack on a police post in the Payeen village of Kamdesh district. A commander was among six attackers killed when security forces retaliated.
Zarin said although the security situation in the two districts had improved, the rebels planned to resume attacks. He urged the Ministries of Interior and Defence to conduct a massive operation against the insurgents.
The call came a day after senior interior, defence and intelligence officials visited Barg-i-Matal district, another volatile town, to assess the security situation and meet local forces.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.