Recent attacks won’t dampen Mujahideen’s Day: MoD
KABUL (PAN): The Ministry of Defence on Saturday said last week’s coordinated attacks, unleashed by Taliban insurgents, in Kabul and three eastern provinces would not impact Mujahideen’s Victory Day celebration -- which marks Soviet occupation troops’ withdrawal from Afghanistan.
Arrangements to ensure tight security had been put in place around the central capital, ahead of the 20th anniversary of Mujahideens’ victory on April 27th, the ministry’s deputy spokesman Brig. Gen. Daulat Waziri told Pajhwok Afghan News.
The near-simultaneous bloody strikes at three locations in Kabul ---Sherpur, Paktia Kot and near parliament, and other major cities in central Logar, eastern Nangarhar and southeastern Paktia provinces left dozens of people killed and wounded.
“The attacks would not affect the celebrations and we want the event celebrated with enthusiasm,” he added.
Four years ago, Taliban fighters attacked a gathering celebrating the Mujahideen Day near Eid Gah mosque in Kabul. President Hamid Karzai and other high-ranking officials were present at the event, where 15 people were killed and wounded, in the assaults. Among the dead was a lawmaker from southeastern Paktia province.
“We have taken special security measures to ensure the day passes off peacefully. Mobile security checkpoints at squares and along roads in Kabul have been established.
“Police and traffic police have been directed to stop suspected vehicles,” said the 101st Asmayee police zone deputy commander, Brig. Gen. Mohammad Daud.
Dozens of unregistered vehicles were seized in Kabul as part of security measures, he said.
Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.