Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

Nangarhar elders warn against township on disputed land

Nangarhar elders warn against township on disputed land

Apr 26, 2012 - 20:26

JALALABAD (PANinfo-icon): Tribal elders hailing from 11 districts of eastern Nangarhar province on Thursday gathered in the Rodat district to protest against the construction of a township there.

The elders alleged the township was being built on a land belonging to residents. The government had allotted the land to a family in compensation as its own land had been confiscated by the government somewhere else, the elders said.

Malik Jehanzib, the Momand tribal council head, said former jihadiinfo-icon commander, Haji Munji, was constructing the town in the Hisar-i-Shahi desert using “a fake decree” of President Hamid Karzai.  

Mohmand tribesmen living in Rodat, Kot, Batikoot, Ghanikhel, Lalpora, Ghushti, Kama, Momand Dara, Behsud, Chaparhar and Khewa districts would launch a protest movement and would close all schools in their respective areas if the provincial administration did not stop construction work on the town, he warned.

Jahanzib accused Governor Gul Agha Sherzai and other high officials of supporting land mafias to sell government lands and fuel differences among various tribes. The elders threatened to destroy the town and torch construction machines if the construction continued.

Deputy Governor Mohammad Hanif Gardiwal said security forces had been directed to stop construction work on the town. He said efforts were underway with involvement of the justice department to find a resolution to the dispute between Momand tribe and Charkhi family.

Momand tribal elders said they would have no opposition if the government launched development projects in the Hesar-i-Shahi desert.

Zamarai Ahmadzai, who is responsible for construction works of the town, said the land had been allotted to the Chakhi family through a presidential decree, adding the owner had all legal documents received from the Supreme Court.

He called Charkhi a renowned family whose lands had been confiscated by the government due to some disagreements with former king Mohammad Nadir Shah.

With mediation of Mohammad Zahir Shah, the late King, and President Hamid Karzai few years ago, the family was granted a piece of land in the Hisar-i-Shahi desert in return for the confiscated lands in Khewa district and Jalalabad city, he said.  

He said the confiscated land had been sold thrice and the current buyer was constructing a town under the name of Sping Ghar Mena. Ahmadzai said construction work of the town would be postponed only when the government intervened into the matter.



Related Article

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.


Add new comment


Twitter Update